Onshore wind power
We finance wind farms all over the globe and support the export of German and European technology.
Financing cases in Argentina
Argentina offers excellent geographic and climatic conditions for renewable energies. The region of Patagonia in the south of the country is famous for its constant strong winds, but provinces such as Rio Nego or Buenos Aires are also ideal locations for wind farms. The country is a very important market for European exporters.
In order to expand the use of renewables and, along the way, to cover rising demand for power - at least in part - the Argentinian government launched its programme 'RenovAR' in 2016. The programme aims to increase the share of the power supply covered by renewable energies to 20 per cent by the year 2025.
RenovAr stands for public tenders for the purchase of power from renewable energy sources. Private investors conclude long-term power purchase agreements (PPA) for 20 years with the state-owned Cammesa. The State of Argentina guarantees the payment obligations through a trust fund composed of both liquid budget funds and state guarantees in favour of the projects.
The following wind farms were financed by KfW IPEX-Bank and fall under the RenovAr programme of the Argentinian government.
With these financings KfW IPEX-Bank is contributing to expanding the use of renewable energies in Argentina while supporting the export of technology and know-how from Germany and Europe.
Financing case: Bicentenario wind farm
Bicentenario key project data:
- 126 MW wind farm
- Comprises 35 Vestas turbines of the type V117 with an individual capacity of 3.6 MW
- Project sponsor is Petroquímica Comodoro Rivadavia S.A.
Key financing figures:
- We are providing a tranche of approx. USD 58 million backed by cover from EKF.
- IDB Invest, a subsidiary of the multilateral development bank IDB, is contributing USD 52 million.
- Non-recourse financing following completion
Financing case: Pomona wind farm
Pomona key project figures:
- 101.4 MW wind farm
- Comprises 26 Nordex turbines of the type N131/3900: Nordex commissioned with a contract covering the supply, erection and maintenance of the wind energy turbines over the next 10 years.
- Project sponsor is the power plant operator Genneia.
- 20-year power offtake agreement
Key financing figures:
- We are contributing a tranche of approx. USD 120.9 million backed by cover from Hermes at a favourable CIRR rate (Commercial Interest Reference Rate).
- DEG - Deutsche Investitions- und Entwicklungsgesellschaft mbH is supplying USD 20.7 million in debt capital.
- Non-recourse financing